In 1854, Hackney and Sons was organized by Willis N. Hackney, as a carriage shop in Wilson, North Carolina. In 1877, the company became known as Hackney Brothers, one of the largest manufacturers of buggies and wagons in the South. The present name, Hackney Brothers Body Company, was adopted in 1914, and formally incorporated in 1920. It was in these early years that the company pioneered the manufacture of school bus bodies and refrigerated bodies. The company was sold in 1996, and this collection was given to Barton College shortly thereafter. Two of the presidents of Hackney Brothers Body Company, Thomas J. Hackney, Sr., and Thomas J. Hackney, Jr., were both Chairmen of the Board of Trustees at Atlantic Christian College during their tenures at Hackney Brothers. The bulk of the collection consists of capital assets (invoices), brochures, and photographs.